Benefits of Broad Frequency Hearing
The Earlens® Hearing Solution directly vibrates the eardrum to gently activate the ear’s natural hearing system. By eliminating reliance on the tiny speakers that conventional hearing aids use, Earlens can amplify a much broader range of sound. In fact, Earlens has the broadest frequency range on the market.
A broader frequency range has been associated with benefits, including:
- More Natural Sound: Speech sounds up to 3x more natural with the frequency range that Earlens delivers as compared to the frequency range delivered by conventional hearing aids. The perceived naturalness of music was also higher with a broader frequency range.1
- Better Hearing in Noisy Environments: Hearing loss tends to occur first in the high frequencies, where important cues to help separate sound in noisy environments reside. Better high frequency hearing is also associated with improved ability to understand speech in challenging listening situations, like restaurants.2
- Better Perception of High Frequency Speech: Studies have shown that speech perception improves as bandwidth for high frequencies is increased. This is true for people with normal hearing as well as people with hearing loss. An extended bandwidth in the high frequencies helps to better hear and identify consonants like “s”, “z” and “v” in words.3
- Moore, B. C. J., & Tan, C.T. (2003). Perceived naturalness of spectrally distorted speech and music. J Acoust Soc Am, 114, 408-419.
- Levy, S.C, Nilsson, M, et al. (2015). Extended high-frequency bandwidth improves speech reception in the presence of spatially separated masking speech. Ear Hear, 36, e214-e224.
- Stelmachowicz P, et al (2001). The effect of stimulus bandwidth on the perception of /s/ in normal and hearing impaired children and adults. J Acoust Soc Am.;110:2183-2190.